Tuesday, March 4, 2008

"MIddle Schoolers Get the Pill"

In the article Middle Schoolers Get the Pill it argues a very valid counterargument which intails that middle schoolers are too young to be recieveing birth control pills, and patches. A main point of the author was that the school was handing them out with out even consulting their parents first.

The counter argument to that was that the children do not just simply recieve the pills, but are then put through very rigorous counceling and very much encouraged to tell their parents. It also states that they are in large poverty stricken areas and recieve a lot of newly arrived immagraints. The fact that there is a lot of poverty where these kids are infers that their parents are probabley not home too often to monitor the childrens action, or spend time with the children and make them aware of abstinence.

In my opiniong the area that was overlooked was their involvement with the parents. I would be highly upset if the school knew my child was pregnant and chose not to notify me immidiately. I feel like I would be understanding and very caring to my child, and I pray I would be the first one they told. Either way, it is my child, and then therefor my responsibility. Only how can I be responsible for something I do am not aware of? There is no where in the schools job description where it is just to know a child is pregnant and CHOSE not to alarm the parents immidiatly. I feel like they need to notify me as soon as they are aware and disreguard anything else. Im sure that is most likely how the majority of parents feel.

No comments: