Thursday, March 13, 2008

Zinsser's "The Right to Fail"

In this reading Zinsser talks about success and how almost everyones interpretation of it is different. To me success lies within the beholder. My idea of success might be graduating from college, whereas a classmate of mine may be to not only graduate, but recieve a diploma in sports medicine and become the best Athletic Trainer in the country. Though our ideas of success might appear different, they really are'nt. Success to me in that situation, was to graduate. Success to my peer was much more perticular. If we both achieve our goals, than therefor we are both succesfull in our own eyes. To be honest, I dont have my life planned out for once i graduate college. I hope that I will eventually comes across something that I am passionate about and know I can hopefully be succesful in.

Back to the word successfull and what that all means. When I use successfull in that context, I like to think it means I do well, am respected, powerful, and wealthy. Those are the key things that come to mind while thinking of success.

A true way I try to challenge myself on a succesfull meter everyday is when basketball practice comes around, and I push myself to be the best post player that day. I feel like if I can push myself to be the best everyday, it will eventually be so that I am the best post player. There are days when I dont feel like I have accomplished that goal, or I dont feel like I had given it my best efforts. The best part about striving to be the best right now is that, i'm a freshman, so even when I am not the best it is ok. I do know though when I reach a higher status I will need to perform and the snap of a finger. Which I do have to admitt is freightening. At the same time I feel like it only benefits me for the future. And therefor I enjoy it.

No comments: